Pursuit United Toasted American and French Oak Finished Bourbon

Pursuit United Toasted American and French Oak Finished Blended Bourbon


Cost: $65 for 750mL bottle MSRP (I’m reviewing a sample)

Age: 7-9 years

Mash Bill: undisclosed (but it’s “blended bourbon whiskeys” so I’m guessing >51% corn…

Proof: 108

I’ll be going to Louisville, KY later this year, and visiting Pursuit Spirits was on my agenda as a fan of the podcast. But I haven’t had a chance to try any of their blends yet. But then u/Bailzay came along and had a Pursuit Spirits expression for me to try out. (Thank you!) So, lets see how it holds up? Should I make sure Pursuit Spirits is on my itinerary later this year when visiting Louisville?

Reviewed neat in a Glencairn.

Appearance: Dark auburn (1.6) with some definite beading but some thin, fast legs that appear before the slower legs.

Nose: A dark sweetness. I’m getting some heavy chocolate and cherry sweetness. Burnt caramel and honey roasted corn. There’s a aged oak note that I’m picking up as a solid background to all the sweetness. This is quite sweet with zero proof to the nose. Fantastic!

Palate: The mouthfeel stands out right away as thick and oily. A brown sugar, vanilla, and a little nuttiness, more in the form of a toffee brittle. There’s an ample amount of oak and leather in the background, but it doesn’t take away from the sweetness at all. This goes down really easy!

Finish: Brown sugar and oak. A little burnt cherry syrup. There’s a very light oakiness that lingers, but strangely, I find the oak stronger in the nose than the finish. There’s a pretty hearty hug that nearly takes my breath away, but it quickly dissipates as soon as I take a deep inhale.

Rating: 8.5/10


Overall:
What a fantastic bourbon! This is a really good experience that makes me really looking forward to checking out Pursuit Spirits in person and am very thankful that I got to try them out before hand (thanks again u/Bailzay). Based on this one expression, the boys from Bourbon Pursuit are executing blending perfectly!

1 | Disgusting | ...I've not subjected myself to this level

2 | Poor | ...I've not subjected myself to this level

3 | Bad | High West Double Rye, Jefferson's Ocean 28

4 | Sub-par | Weller's SR, Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select

5 | Good | Buffalo Trace, Sazerac Rye, Green River Wheated

6 | Very Good | Blanton's, Holladay Bourbons, Widow Jane Decadence

7 | Great | Baker's 7yr SiB, WhistlePig PiggyBack SiB, 1792 BiB

8 | Excellent | Most ECBP batches, JD SiB BiB, High West MWND Act 11

9 | Incredible | Barrel Bourbon Batch T8ke, BBC DS #7, Four Roses OESQ

10 | Perfect | Found North Batch 08

Comments

Popular Posts