Casey Jones Total Eclipse Bourbon

Casey Jones Total Eclipse Bourbon


Cost: $60 for 750mL bottle

Age: 2 years

Proof: 100

Mash Bill: 75% yellow corn, 10% wheat, 10% rye, 5% malted barley

Reviewed neat in a rocks glass.

Appearance: Golden (0.6), looks like a mixture of oil and water on the side of the glass.

Nose: Honey and grass dominate. This is a really bright nose. I'm also getting some buttered corn.

Palate: This is surprisingly oily on the palette. I'm getting sweet buttered corn bread, grass, wild flower honey, and a light rye spice at the end fading into the finish.

Finish: Rye spice and butter lingers the most, there's a fine sweet corn note, slight tingle on the back of the tongue, very mild hug in the core of the chest.

Rating: 5.7/10

Overall: For 2 years old, this is about what I would expect. However, I would have expected a lot harsher (astringent) profile. But this pleasantly didn't have that. It was just young and bright, not many aged notes. But what a fantastic bottle to enjoy on a day like today! (See all photos)

Behind the Bottle

I was fortunate enough in 2017 that the North American eclipse path of totality went right over my work in South Carolina for about 2 minutes of totality, and then again, here in 2024, the path of totality went right over my in-laws back yard in Texas for about 2 minutes and 10 seconds. This bottle was purchased by my in-laws around 2021-2022 time frame at the Casey Jones distillery and has been held unopened until today. What a fun day and what a fun pour!

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect






Comments

Popular Posts