Widow Jane Decadence Batch 8 (2022)

Widow Jane Decadence (2022)

Cost: $99 at local liquor store (South Carolina)

Age: 10 years

Proof:
91

Mash Bill: 70% corn, 20% rye, 10% malted barley (This is assumed and not stated specifically for Decadence, but this is the mash bill for the common Widow Jane 10 year that is believed to be what makes up Decadence.)

Reviewed neat in a Glencairn. This is bottle #3009 of Batch #8 from 2022.

Appearance: Cognac in color with fat, thick legs that want to just cling to the glass.

Nose: Cinnamon, pepper, oak, and…you guessed it! Maple Syrup. (I fully expect this to carry throughout. Lets find out!)

Palate: This is super viscous and oily. It coats the palate with ease. It’s very sweet (unsurprised), but it’s actually well balanced (surprisingly). The sweetness comes in a blend of brown sugar, syrup, honey, and caramel. I’m really getting it all. While that sounds like a sugar bomb, it’s really not overly sweet for what it is. It’s balanced out with a decent spiciness that comes mostly in the form of baking spice but a little rye spice too. There’s also some oak interspersed that helps bring the sweetness back down to earth.

Finish: Very mild, and pleasant. Sweet oak lingers with very little hug. It just kinda…disappears in the swallow (TWSS). I’m kind of a little sad with the finish of this. Makes me think they should have pushed the proof a little more to give a little more pazazz to this girl.

Rating: 6.5/10

Overall: This is a fun bottle! I mean, how many whiskeys have you had that were finished in maple syrup barrels?! It has a fairly complex palate, and I was really surprised by how well balanced it was. Don’t get me wrong, this is still a sweet bourbon. But considering the mental awareness and expectation that it’s going to have maple syrup vibes, it was really rather tame. It also clearly has an authentic “finished in maple syrup barrels” taste and not a “blended with maple syrup flavoring.” Not that I would expect that from Widow Jane, but…it’s a thing nowadays sadly…I digress. I am left with wishing there was more to the finish than there was, and the nose was also pretty monotone. If you get it, share it with some friends because it’s a fun bottle and I think will make for some great conversation while tasting it. But don’t spend $100 on this bottle expecting a top end bourbon.

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good |
Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts