Weller Special Reserve

Weller Special Reserve (base Weller)

Cost: $30 at Buffalo Trace Distillery

Age: NAS (rumored 4-7 years)

Proof: 90

Mash Bill: Buffalo Trace Wheated Mash Bill (51% corn or greater)

Reviewed neat in a Glencairn

Appearance: Dark copper with a slight reddish tinge. Thin, slow legs.

Nose: Sweet grass and honey. There’s a little bit of an earthy wood note in there too. Some vanilla. It’s overall a sweet nose, but nothing too interesting.

Palate: Caramel, vanilla, and cereal. I really don’t get much else. Not sure if my palate’s just shot tonight or what, but that’s all I’m getting. This has a nice mouth feel. It definitely has the distinct honey like mouthfeel I find somewhat common in wheaters – where it just kinda flows over the tongue and doesn’t take much to coat the palate.

Finish: What finish? No…seriously. It’s almost non-existent. There’s a very light sting at the back of the palate and a slightly lingering sweet oak. But the finish is really, really, REALLY light.

Rating: 4.0/10

Overall: So, hear me out. At $30, this is an alright bourbon. At $22, which some people can find fairly regularly depending on their local market (mine is not one of them), this is a great bourbon. But there is NOTHING “special” about Weller Special Reserve. I love wheated bourbons! But this one really just doesn’t do much for me. There’s so many better wheaters at this price point that are more complex and are generally more robust that there’s really not much of a reason I see to have Weller SR unless you are one that can get it for cheap regularly and it’s your everyday sipper. That’s really the only purpose for this bourbon to me. There’s nothing fun about this one otherwise. Because it’s so bland but on the sweeter side, it could be a good gateway bourbon for someone trying to get into bourbon and whiskey. But in general, Weller Special Reserve just doesn’t do it for me. All that said, WSR in no way, shape, or form ruins the rest of the Weller vertical for me!

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great |
Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts