John J. Bowman Single Barrel

John J. Bowman Single Barrel

Cost: $50 at local liquor store (South Carolina)

Age: NAS (rumored 9-10 years)

Proof: 100 proof

Mash Bill: Undisclosed, but rumored to be a blend of Mash Bills #1 and #2 from Buffalo Trace.

Reviewed neat in a glencairn

Appearance: dark copper, almost tawny. Thin slow legs.

Nose: Sweet toffee, citrus, vanilla, and a faint oak note.

Palate: Classic bourbon with orange peel and vanilla that dominate and a touch of oak. There’s a mild baking spice and barrel char that blends in with the heat of the sip.

Finish: There’s a medium finish to this with a little more heat than I would expect for a 100 proof bourbon. I get a bitterness that lingers, which I normally find with younger bourbons. Orange citrus and oak stick around through the end.

Rating: 5.7/10

Overall: John J. Bowman has been mentioned to be the “Blanton’s when you can’t find Blanton’s.” They’re both single barrels. They supposedly both use Buffalo Trace Mash Bill #2 (not sure that’s a hard fact for John J. Bowman still). Blanton’s is aged for 6-8 years, Bowman is 9-10 years. So other than things like barrel charring, warehouse conditions, and proof they should be pretty similar, right? Well…I think that’s true to many degrees! I find a lot of parallels between the two myself. I sampled this pour right along side a pour of Blanton’s, and they are pretty similar. HOWEVER…I think I would give the nod to Blanton’s for the better bourbon. While John J. Bowman was a good pour and certainly more robust than Blanton’s, Blanton’s was a bit more well rounded and easier sipping. Now, 93 proof vs 100 proof must be considered there of course. As well as the fact that John J. Bowman (as well as Blanton’s) is a single barrel product. So, there’s certainly some volatility from barrel to barrel. Perhaps the barrel my Bowman bottle is from was not a great pick versus the barrel of Blanton’s I did a side by side with. All things that must be considered.

I’ll also mention that I find it about just as hard to find John J. Bowman as Blanton’s to a degree. In fact, I can find Blanton’s a bit easier, albeit the price is stupid high vs the few times I see John J. Bowman the price is more reasonable.

With all that said, it’s a classic bourbon profile that makes for a great sipper and all around bourbon. I think it’s fun to think about it as having the same (or very similar) distillate as Blanton’s, and makes it fun to compare. But I can say that I probably won’t necessarily seek it again. Not because it was bad, but because it’s rather unmemorable. I’d rather pay more for something that’s more memorable, or less for something that’s “classic bourbon.”

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts