Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Bottled in Bond (2nd Review)

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Bottled in Bond (second review)

Cost: $60 at duty free store (Aukland, New Zealand)

Age: NAS (rumored 5-7 year depending on barrel)

Proof: 100

Mash Bill: 80% corn, 12% barley, 8% rye

This is a travel exclusive offering found only in duty free airports around the world. I actually previously did a review of this bourbon (different barrel). It was interesting to see the subtle differences in the two barrels. They both had all the same notes, but some stood out more in one barrel than the other. I personally think this barrel is nicer than the previous one. But they’re both very similar. (NOTE: I made my tasting notes without reviewing my previous review of this expression so that I wasn’t biased in what I had picked up last time.)

Appearance: Reddish mahogany in color; very viscous and oily looking.

Nose: Immediate caramelized banana. Big banana profile! A solid background of oak, and a very slight herbal note. This smells fantastic!

Palate: Bold oak, tobacco, banana (but not nearly as much as there was in the nose), and some burnt brown sugar. This is very oily and coats the pallet well.

Finish: A weave of oak, leather, and ripe banana linger accompanied by a very light hug. The finish is rather short though. It leaves me wishing it was longer because it is so nice.

Rating: 8.3/10

Overall: The nose, taste, and finish are all very unique experiences individually but with a few common threads that tie them all together. I’m a very big fan of this expression! Very tasty sip overall! (NOTE: In my previous review of this expression, I gave this an 8.5/10. This time I gave it an 8.3/10. However, as I stated above, I do think that this bottle was better than the last one I had. I think the difference in my rating is simply an artifact of timing of the sip and changes associated with that such as environment, season, new experiences since the last tasting, etc. Overall though, 8.3 vs 8.5…that’s in the noise. You can take JD SiB BiB to be an excellent mid-8’s expression in my opinion and overall, this just confirms that.)

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts