Barrell Bourbon Batch T8ke

Barrell Bourbon Batch T8ke (r/Bourbon blend)

Cost: $110 through Shared Pour via r/Bourbon

Age: 25% 5 year, 60% 6 year, 10% 9 year, 5% 16 year

Proof: 117.52 proof

Mash Bill: it’s a blend and I couldn’t find the derived mash bill…

Reviewed neat in a glencairn.

Appearance: Auburn copper, oily and viscous

Nose: A lot of sweetness, a little astringent, and some baking spice. I’m also picking up a kind of buttery saltiness to it.

Palate: Very soft on the palate. It’s thinner than I was expecting, but coats the palate nicely. The taste is very complex with the sweetness of creamed sugar and melted butter, a decent amount of earthier notes like tobacco, oak, and leather, and a light spiciness towards the end of the sip. There is a bit of a sting from the high proof, but to be expected and nothing that would deter me from wanting to dive back in for another sip!

Finish: There’s a medium to long finish that is very satisfying. Sweet oak lingers along with a little citrus and cherry and a very mild hug that mostly just warms the chest and lasts about 20 seconds or so before receding and leaving the sweet wood profile on the breath.

Rating: 9.5/10

Overall: This one blew me away! This was the second r/Bourbon Barrell offering I purchased. The first being Barrell Seagrass 16 year (See Barrel Seagrass 16yr review). The Barrel Seagrass grey label really disappointed me, but I wanted to give them another try and based on how Jay described this T8ke batch blend in his email, I was convinced that this would be the opportunity of redemption. And man did it not disappoint! Very complex with all the right sweetness and heat that I like in a bourbon. Notes of age and earthiness to help mellow out the sweetness…it’s really well balanced and robust. This is a fantastic bourbon that I will be very sad when it is gone. I might even fill a 2oz Boston round with it to save for well into the future when I want to sample it just one more time after it's long dead and gone. Absolutely incredible pour!

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts