Russell's Reserve 10 Year

Russell’s Reserve 10 year – 90 proof

Purchased for $39 at a local liquor store.

Reviewed neat in a glencairn.

Appearance: Copper. Thin, fast legs and leaves a smattering of beads on the glass as it runs down. It appears thin.

Nose: Orange peel, vanilla, and a light woody scent.

Palate: Spicy! Burnt, brown sugar with a kick! (I generally pick up a lot of spice in Wild Turkey products.) The spice is nice, but it’s light in body. There’s a subtle cherry flavor that kinda reminds me of cherry Twizzlers. This is a bit thin on the palate and doesn’t coat the entire mouth very well without really swishing it around.

Finish: This is a pretty light finish. The spice still lingers, and that orange profile from the nose shows back up just hanging around for a while. There’s not much of a hug at all…on second thought…there is, but it’s very light and high up, almost like it’s in the back of the throat.

Rating: 5.1/10

Overall: There’s not much to say on this one that hasn’t been said above. It’s good. I’m sure these are fighting words with some, but I do like it better than Wild Turkey 101. 😊 (I think the age gives it a bit more rounded profile than WT101, but the lower proof could help with “knocking off the edges” that 101 has as well. I probably shouldn’t be comparing it to WT101 really and let it stand on its own two feet though.) For the price and ease of drinking though, I’ve found myself reaching for this a lot the last few weeks for an after work pour – it’s good for drinking neat but when you’re not wanting to think through tasting notes and whatnot. One thing it has done is left me looking forward to getting my hands on RR13!

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts