Rebel Cask Strength Single Barrel

Bourbz Review #14: Rebel Cask Strength Single Barrel – 120 proof

Appearance: Honey Amber in color. Giving this a swirl in a Glencairn, it appears very, VERY viscous. The legs just kinda dance around the glass and don’t just run straight down – it’s quite wild looking really defying gravity and all.

Nose: Vanilla for days, some astringent heat that burns the nostril at times. Butter cream frosting, and hot tamales candies.

Palate: Caramel with a light profile of toasted oak are noticeable right away. A blend of woody and herbal spice that is difficult to separate what the spice is coming from. Orange candy chews and vanilla show up a little later with more concentration. There is a heat that hits first but does not linger, and some herbaceous notes on the back end. The mouth feel is thick but not really oily. It doesn’t quite feel as viscous as it looks.

Finish: The proof of this sip shows up in the finish. It’s very drying on the pallet and has a nice hug going down. There’s a sweet oak note that lingers with a touch of mint.

Rating: 7.0/10

Overall: This was a shared pour by a family member that picked a bottle of this up when they visited Lux Row distillery. I’ve not had a lot by Lux Row previously (one bottle of Ezra Brooks is all I can recall) so I didn’t really know what to expect. I was very pleased with this sip though! It had a good bit of complexity and depth. With every sip, I was able to pick up a slightly different note. I think the heat was a little higher than what I would like, but it wasn’t offensive (plus, its cask strength, so some heat should be expected). While I didn’t purchase this bottle, it appears that it can be picked up in the $50-$60 range. I think this is the ideal range for it and it can compete well here. However, if it was nearing $70, there are other bottles that I would prefer over this one. If you like barrel strength bottles and can pick this one up for less than $60, it’s definitely worth picking up to try!

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts