Michter's Small Batch Sour Mash

Michter’s Small Batch Sour Mash Whiskey – 86 proof - $55

Appearance: Copper color. Medium sized, fast legs. It has a semi-oily appearance.

Nose: Zesty, minty, sweet fruit. There’s a slight butterscotch or caramel sweetness there too lingering in the background. I can’t pick out many earthy notes to help balance it out – it’s very bright smelling.

Palate: Buttery goodness! Semi-tart fruit. Some nuttiness. Imagine…stay with me for a minute…imagine melting down a stick of butter on the stove top and tossing in a handful of pecans to start toasting. A few minutes later, add some sugar and diced up, slightly under-ripe apricots, apple, and wild berries… That’s the best way to describe this: there is a undeniable sweetness, a bold buttery profile, a slight earthiness, and a fruit tartness that is very present. The buttery profile is emphasized by a nice buttery, soft, lingering mouthfeel as well.

Finish: The zesty, minty notes I got on the nose reappear in the finish lingering in the mouth. There’s a mild heat and a slight floral note that lingers as well (maybe even grassy a little?).

Rating: 7.5/10

Overall: I REALLY like this! It’s a really complex sip. There are some notes that make me think of traditional bourbon or even a wheater, and other notes that make me think of a rye whiskey. But that’s just because it’s human nature to try and make comparisons. It’s probably best to just put this in its own category. Really unique! For the price and availability, this may wind up becoming a staple in my bar. My only gripe would be that while there are so many different flavors going on, they’re all a little muted. I think a higher proof would really push up those flavors and make this quite exceptional.

1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.

2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.

3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.

4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.

5 | Good | Good, just fine.

6 | Very Good | A cut above.

7 | Great | Well above average

8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.

9 | Incredible | An all time favorite

10 | Perfect | Perfect

Comments

Popular Posts