Blanton's...The Original Single Barrel

 

I've always liked whiskey: American whiskey, bourbon, Irish, Scotch...I'm unbiased. But I've never sought after anything "special." Just got what I could find and nothing unique.

Recently, I made a little trip to Kentucky and spent a few days on the bourbon trail, and picked up some very fun bottles to sip from. So, I figured I might go ahead and go down the rabbit hole of reviewing some whiskey and bourbons now.

So why not start with none other than the original Blanton's!? While I've had it before, I've never owned my own bottle (got really lucky when we were visiting Buffalo Trace and between my wife and I, I now have two bottles). This specific bottle was poured on 11/29/22 from barrel number 4095 from rick number 34 of none other than warehouse H. Let's begin!

Appearance: Honey/Amber. Beautiful beads in glass and has thick, but fast, legs.

Nose: I get an immediate scent of orange and vanilla. Almost like a dreamsicle but interrupted with a slight tingle from the astringentness of the alcohol. There is a sweetness at the back end of the aroma. It's kind of a scent of burnt, white sugar... there's a hominess to it.

Palate: Bitter caramel sweetness. There's a citrus profile, but not as strong as in the aroma. An oiliness to the mouthfeel, but thing - not really noticeable after three of four sips. There is an oakiness, but it doesn't overpower the other flavors on the palette. There's a slight rye spice, but it doesn't come across harshly, or even noticeable, but it's there when you intentionally think about it. There is an accompaniment of vanilla that sits and lingers throughout the experience.

Finish: The oakiness is what far outlasts all other flavors. There's very little burn in the throat and chest (not much of a Kentucky hug), but there is a slight sting that lingers on the back of the tongue.

Overall: It's not mind-blowing, or even memorable, but it's not awful by any regards. I think it's more the...nostalgia?...scarcity?...novelty?...of having Blanton's in your own possession that makes the experience. It's a solid sipper but there's way more complex sippers for the price. But it's a solid bourbon, not too complex, but most excellent for sharing with company. Sharing a pour with good friends...I think that's what this bourbon is all about. And that's how memories of this are made best, I think.

Rating: 6.3/10 It's a solid bourbon, but nothing special in the flavor, just a "special" product that good memories will be made with.

Comments

Popular Posts